The Story

1847

Following his graduation, he migrated to Texas settling at Bastrop where he practiced medicine for two years. At that time many young people hearing of the California Gold Rush decided to seek their fortunes in the West.

Dr. Barton was a pioneering physician who received a medical degree from Kentucky's Transylvania University, Lexington, KY.

Dr. Barton decided to join this movement but first desired to return home to visit with his family. He married his sweetheart, Louise Adeline Cox, and stayed on in South Carolina. Ten children would be born to this union.

1854

The group left on October 5, 1854 and two and one-half months later arrived in Washington County just before Christmas. The Bartons purchased farm land in Burnet County where he farmed and practiced medicine. At the beginning of the War between the States, Dr. Barton offered his services as a surgeon for the Confederate Army.

Old friends and family members persuaded Welborn to lead a wagon train of about one hundred folks to Texas.

After the end of the war, during the construction era, Dr. and Mrs. Barton moved to the Salado area, responding to rumors that a fine school had opened there. 

As Louisa became an advocate for literacy, the couple wished to provide their children with good educations. Dr. Barton immediately became involved in the community. He served as a trustee for the Salado College for several years. He developed a busy medical practice in the area with his wife Louisa accompanying him on his rounds by driving the horses which pulled the buggy and serving as his nurse.

The prosperity of his medical practice and his need for more space made the addition of one of these wings possible. As you stand facing The Barton House you will notice this addition on the left hand side.  It consisted of two stories with two new rooms on each level. One of the new rooms was used by Dr. Barton as a surgery room for his growing practice. Included in the design of the room is a limestone sink, with outdoor drainage, built into the wall of the house.  Descendants of the Barton family speculate that this was some of the first indoor plumbing in Central Texas.

An addition was built on to the house.  Rumor has it that Dr. Barton wanted his home to look like a stately English country manor with wings on each side of the house.

Notably, rumors claim that General Custer was treated along with some of his troops here.

Sadly Dr. Barton died before a second wing could be added to the right side of the house. Today you will see the relaxing covered porch is in that location

1879

A great granddaughter of Dr. Barton had four working bathrooms installed throughout the house. Their exact original location is not known but it sure beats the outhouse they used which still resides on the property.

Brought even more modern changes to The Barton House.

1946

Hermann came to Salado over 20 years ago to open The Range at the Barton House. To complete that task, a 1,200 sq.ft. kitchen was added onto the house.

The Barton House remained a private home until it opened as a restaurant, when it was purchased by Dave and Katie Hermann.

1997

Marks the newest and most exciting event in the history of this amazing property.  

2018

Clinton and Ledia Harwell, owner’s of Pignetti’s Italian Restaurant in downtown Temple, purchased the historic property.  With many hours of elbow grease, thoughtful design and an amazing kitchen and wait staff they are excited to offer this new restaurant addition to the wonderful town of Salado, Texas. 

- LOCATION -

- HOURS -

- CONTACT -

101 N. Main St

Salado, TX  76571

Thurs   4 pm - 9 pm

Fri & Sat   4 pm - 10 pm

Sun    11 am - 3 pm

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • Yelp
  • TripAdvisor
the-barton-house-logo.png